I would like you to describe, in your own words, as fully as possible, and the more precise you are, the better.
1) CHARACTER OF SENSATION
- In other words, how does your condition make you feel physically?
- Does it feel tingly or is it burning?
- Do you have a sensation of numbness, crawling, pressure, or itching?
- Is there pain?
- Is the pain cutting, dull, aching or cramping?
- What are the sensations associated with your condition?
- Where is the complaint located?
For example…”headache” is good, but adding the description, ”pain in the left temple ” adds a more complete picture for me.
- What makes your complaint better?
Here I would like you to think about what you do to make it feel better; lying on your right side, better at night, better when it rains, better when it is hot or cold, better when you are lying down as opposed to sitting up, sitting still, stretching, bathing, etc., etc., In other words is it affected by your position, or by motion or lack thereof. Is it affected by temperature, humidity, weather, sleeping, or eating? Anything you think of that makes it feel better, please list it.
- What makes your complaint worse?
Here I want you to think of what makes it worse. Again, is it weather related, movement aggravated, affected by your position, bathing, heat or cold, eating or drinking? Again, anything you can think of that makes it feel worse, please list it.